There are many reasons for why you may be suffering from damp and mould in your home. It can be quite dangerous and can affect your health. You will want to get rid of this problem. Luckily, there are treatments for this condition. In this article, we’ll look at some common causes of damp and mould as well as the remedies available. We’ll also talk about how to establish whether or not your landlord was responsible for the problem.
Common causes of damp and mould
If you’ve noticed damp, mould or mildew in your home, there are a few things you can do. However, it’s important to identify the right cause before attempting to eliminate it.
The most common causes of damp are poor maintenance and improper ventilation. In addition, moisture can get in from outside. These can include leaking pipes, cracked rendering, or defects in guttering.
If you have a problem with condensation, you may want to look at installing a vapour barrier. This will help to stop water from reaching inner walls and will also prevent the building from breathing.
You should also take care to check for signs of rising damp. This type of damp is caused by ground water rising through the floors and walls. It usually occurs on the ground floor, but can be found in basements.
Other potential causes of excess moisture are leaky roofs and windows. Water damage to internal walls can cause mold. Also Read: housing disrepair claim
Treatments for damp and mould
Damp and mould can affect health and home decor. They cause a variety of problems, from itchy skin to stuffy noses, and even respiratory infections. If you are worried about mould, it’s best to seek medical advice.
Molds thrive in damp conditions, especially in dark spaces. Indoors, you may find it on floors, walls and other surfaces. Moulds grow by producing spores, and can make people cough, wheeze, or even develop asthma.
Several factors contribute to dampness and mould, including the type of materials you have in your home. For example, wood and cardboard are key food sources for mould. You can use anti-condensation paint in your kitchen to reduce damp.
Keeping windows open and maintaining proper ventilation can help to reduce the amount of moisture in your house. You should also check the condition of your guttering and repair any leaks. Using a dehumidifier can also help with excess moisture.
Establishing a landlord’s negligence
Taking steps to improve the health of a home can save you a lot of money in maintenance costs in the long run. This is especially true if you are living in a rented property.
While there is no such thing as absolute proof, it is clear that some landlords fail to address damp and mould issues. If your property has been neglected, you may be able to file a compensation claim.
A number of studies have shown that excessively damp indoor environments can result in mycotoxins and VOCs. These are chemicals that are harmful to your health. Some of the most important things you can do to improve the quality of your indoor air include avoiding smoke and dust.
You should also consider the benefits of proper ventilation. Using a fan can help reduce the amount of moisture in your room. It is also a good idea to install an extractor fan.
Health risks associated with mould
Health risks associated with mould and damp include allergies, asthma and respiratory infections. Some people are more vulnerable than others. In particular, infants and children are more likely to experience health effects.
People with chronic respiratory disease or immune suppression may also have increased risk of illness from exposure to mold. If you have any symptoms that you think might be caused by poor indoor air quality, consult your doctor for more information.
There are several types of mould. They produce spores that are easily carried by the air. Spores are tiny particles that can cause allergic reactions. Sensitivity to these spores can increase with repeated exposure.
The fungi Stachybotrys chartarum and Alternaria are considered potentially lethal. These fungi can trigger severe asthma attacks. However, it’s not clear what triggers the onset of illness in these cases.
A recent review found that higher levels of visible mold in homes are associated with a greater likelihood of developing allergic respiratory health outcomes in children. This study also noted that mould doesn’t seem to have any effect on autoimmune diseases.